Refraction house designed by RAD+ar, that questioning wall as the most basic element of privacy barrier. And the best way to preserve old East – West facing deep plan. The home transformed by replacing the majority of the walls with a series of different glass block combinations.
Indeed, the exist deep plan of this house that face East and West in a tropical climate is not the best and favorable approach to achieve. In order to ensure that every internal functional area of this house achieves natural light, the majority of walls replaced with a series of different glass block combinations to refracts light deep into the house. A direct approach of simply wall upfront and back terrace becomes the most effective way to reduce direct heat in the East – West facade. As both sides are provided with open – air balconies to ensure the heat being released in a slower time when night comes.
In addition to this, the majority of the structure retained and the unnecessary element is minimized and simplified for the transformation. Each room such as living room, dining room, kitchen, bedroom and bathroom that face the facade can get a lot of illumination during the day without compromising with the heat in comparison to its normal opening. The architect also creates a mini internal garden to ensure there is no vegetation block the maximum illumination. Therefore a smaller series of courtyards in the middle, front, and back of the site is used as the most appropriate integration. Surely, this house offers a new sense of unique experience for the family.
The Architecture Design Project Information:
- Project Name: Refraction House
- Location: Jakarta, Indonesia
- Project Year: 2021
- Area: 525 m²
- Designed by: RAD+ar
The Refraction House Gallery:
Text by the Architects: Refraction house is another micro experiment from RAD+ar, that questions the optimal way to preserve old unsustainable East – West facing deep plan, while questioning wall as the most basic element of privacy barrier.
For more information about this project; please contact the Architecture firm :
– Add: Jl. Jalur 20 No.Blok 30/19, RT.8/RW.10, Meruya Utara, Kec. Kembangan, Kota Jakarta Barat, Daerah Khusus Ibukota Jakarta 11620, Indonesia
– Tel: +62 812-9726-6584
– Email: [email protected]
More Tour of Houses in Indonesia here:
- Villa WRK in Kabupaten Badung, Indonesia by Parametr Indonesia
- Golf residence, warm intimate home with golf field views by Gets Architects
- Rubic JGC residence, modern home combine feng shui by Gets Architects
- Modern J House, a Villa with Impressive Corner Plot by y0 Design Architect
- B House with tropical mixed with rustic Balinese design by Gohte Architects